Friday, June 5, 2009

Pakistan Pop Legend Najam Sheraz


Fourteen years and ten albums behind him in his successful music career, Najam Sheraz is more energetic and optimistic for the future than ever before. 2009 will be the most important year yet for Najam, for he has plans to change the world through his music. This spring, Najam will begin his much anticipated 2009 ONLY LOVE World Tour, with stops in India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Italy, Bulgaria, Great Britian, United States and Canada. This tour has been inspired by his moving peace anthem ONLY LOVE, which he has presented internationally, at LA Convention Center, London's Excel and at Islamabad Stadium during the Olympic Torch Ceremony for the 2008 Beijing Games. His message is simple: "Do you believe what I believe? Do you feel what I feel? This is the time to forget the past, let's give each other a chance. Only love can break the chains. Only love can save the day." These are the chorus lyrics of his peace song ONLY LOVE, which he sings with deep conviction and hopes his listeners also take to heart and put into action. With the planet's survival in the fragile balance, Najam believes we can't wait around any longer for peace to just happen; each of us must take on the responsibility for peace on an individual basis. This good news of the individual's power to make a difference through love is what Najam plans to deliver to fans on his world tour.

Please introduce yourself to our readers:I am a singer, song writer, producer and a peace worker. Tell us where you grew up, your education and family? I grew up in an ancient city of Multan, Pakistan. I attended UET Engineering University in Lahore to study Civil Engineering; however, I never finished my degree. I am the youngest of four sisters and three brothers. When did you become interested in music? And how did you enter the music scene?I don’t exactly remember when, but I have always been interested in music. My brother Salman was a better singer, but he was a bit shy to be the front man, so he pushed me in the front from the drum kit. Did your family support your decision to become a musician?They encouraged and appreciated, but they wanted me to become an engineer. However, I don’t believe in fall back plans... Your first song ‘In Sai Nain’ received a good response and was a hit, how many songs and albums have you released since then?I have sung the most number of national songs, and have released about ten albums and numerous singles; including the National Anthem of Pakistan. Do you write and compose the music yourself or do you have a team that helps you?I write, compose and co-produce as well. You have recently been touring Europe and North America tell us what you have been promoting and what response have you received?I always promote peace and harmony through my interviews, concerts, videos and my music. In 2008, it was promoted through the new album ‘Najam’. What projects or albums are you currently working on? I am working on launching an antiwar campaign worldwide with my first English single 'Only Love'. Pakistan has come a long way in music, where do you see Pakistani music in the next ten years?I forsee the Pakistani music industry dying badly if we don't muster up all that we have, which includes our advertising industry, corporate sponsors and satellite channels. We’ll have to do this or we’ll just become a market for the Indian and the International market. Pakistan has produced many great singers, who in your opinion is the best and why?My criteria of best is way too high than the local standards, so I won’t answer that, but all have worked very hard, especially those who have sustained from the 90's without the support of the Indian media. The Indian film industry can make you a star in one day, but to sustain more than a decade, you need to be constantly growing and strong. Besides music what are you interests and hobbies?I study comparative religions, explore different cities and people. I also voluntarily work for a great platform known as www.arrahman-arraheem.com, and have been awarded congressional recognition twice. I like to watch movies as well… What advice would you give to the youngsters who want to follow in your footsteps?Be honest with your job, and deliver 100%. Keep your standards high and think of ways to contribute to society and Pakistan. Lastly your message to the readers?If you don't support goodness, you already have supported evil so each and everyone of us is responsible to counter the evil and the biggest evil of this time is corruption and war, both of which are interrelated. Let’s unite our spirits and efforts, only love can break the chains, only love can save the day. Do you believe what I believe…
Source:http://www.musicpakistan.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment